Medical care was among the first and most critical needs identified by members of the community at Angalakuppam. When the community center was built, space was set aside for a dispensary which is run today by Lakshmi, a woman from the village who worked hard to train herself as a paramedic and then to gain the faith and trust of the community she serves as a healthcare professional.
Thanks to Lakshmi’s expertise and the space created for the dispensary, several medical outreach activities are possible at Angalakuppam:
- routine medical care, including vision and dental checks;
- eye care camps (conducted by the reputed Arvind Eye Hospital);
- dental camps (conducted by Rajiv Gandhi Dental College, and with the assistance of local dental practitioner Dr. Satya);
- disease prevention awareness campaigns;
- family planning awareness;
- vaccinations (including pulse polio);
- detection of Respiratory and heart ailments, blood pressure monitoring;
- referral services, where patients are triaged to local hospitals based on their physical conditions.
The prospect of building a dispensary to provide similar services at Mathur is currently being investigated.